Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://hdl.handle.net/10137/7430
Title: A brief history of Royal Darwin Hospital
Authors: Kettle, Ellen Sarah
Corporate Author: Royal Darwin Hospital
Publisher: The Hospital
Abstract: After three unsuccessful attempts to colonize the northern coast of the Northern Territory this whole vast area was given to South Australia. Port Darwin had been discovered in 1839. Mr. George Woodroffe Goyder, the Surveyor-General from South Australia began to survey the town early in February 1869. Dr. Robert Peel came as the doctor attached to the survey team. After establishing a camp below what is now Government House, the first priority was to find a supply of potable water. Two days later water was found and a well was sunk; this well was named for Dr. Peel. Over the passage of years a street was named after the doctor and the area of the well became Doctor's Gully. The surveying included a site for a hospital on the cliffs above Doctor's Gully and now bounded by Packard Street.
Publication Date: 1986
Type: Report
URI: https://hdl.handle.net/10137/7430
Appears in Collections:(d) Historical Collection

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat  
00145 A Brief History of Royal Darwin Hospital.pdf8.9 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in ePublications are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Google Media

Google ScholarTM

Who's citing